Inspection, Testing and Commissioning of Electrical Switchboards, Circuit Breakers, Protective Relays, Cables and PLCs - Live online course
25th Anniversary Promotion
We are celebrating 25 years in the training industry, having helped over 500,000 engineers, technicians and technologists advance their careers.
To celebrate we are giving you a massive 25% discount on IDC’s Live Online Courses, Classroom Workshops, Video Courses and Technical Manuals booked before 31st December 2016.
Just use coupon code IDCAN25 at checkout to receive your discount
The overall focus of this course is on electrical inspection, testing and commissioning and will commence with a detailed examination of switchgear (and circuit breakers). Circuit breakers are critical components in electrical distribution systems and their operation significantly affects the overall operation of the system. Protection relays are then discussed. These are used in power systems to maximise continuity of supply and are found in both small and large power systems from generation, through transmission, distribution and utilisation of power in plant, industrial and commercial equipment. Commissioning and periodic inspection of cables and their various failure modes and how to detect these faults are covered. The often neglected topic of switchboards will be detailed next, followed by the interesting topic of interfacing to the control system (either PLC’s or other control devices).
Many people assume that inspecting, testing and commissioning is a fairly straightforward process and is simply a rubber stamp confirmation of a so-called outstanding design. Our experience in the field demonstrates quite the opposite; where the litany of problems ranges from design and installation errors to equipment manufacturing defects. It is best that these problems are identified and corrected before the inevitable downtime comes in an operational installation where many thousands of dollars are lost in correcting the faults. The situation today is made more challenging by the heightened safety requirements and interfacing to low powered electronic control and monitoring devices (such as PLC’s) using softwarethat has to also be verified.
- Four 60 minute live, practical sessions with your instructor and attendees
- Four hours of additional in-depth video sessions covering many additional areas – yours to keep and watch any time you want
- The full technical eBook manual for “Inspection, Testing and Commissioning of Electrical Switchboards, Circuit Breakers, Protective Relays, Cables and PLCs” which includes course slides, cases studies, calculations and practical exercises
- Certificate of Attendance for your continuous professional development records
WHAT TIME WILL THE COURSE COMMENCE?
To help with the time differences you can choose from 2 sessions to select the time which best suits you.
- Session 1 4am GMT
- Session 2 6pm GMT
You can convert the times above into your local time zone here.
YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO:
- Nuts and bolts of electrical inspection, testing and commissioning
- Detailed principles and rules for inspection, testing and commissioning of switchboards, switchgear, cabling and protection relays
- Selection of appropriate type and rating of switchgear and circuit breakers
- The different standards and specifications used for switchgear and circuit breakers
- Cable commissioning, testing and fault detection
- Safe maintenance policies including safe working in switch rooms, indoor and outdoor substations
WHO SHOULD COMPLETE THIS COURSE?
- Design engineers
- Electrical engineers and technicians
- Electrical maintenance engineers, technicians and supervisors
- Field and service technicians
- Instrumentation engineers and technicians
- Plant operators
- Project engineers
Why choose a Live Online Course with IDC Technologies
No need to travel - Attend online from any location
Practical & Interactive training
Highly experienced instructors
Quality & Informative content
IDC Technologies have been providing quality engineering training around the world for over 25 years.
This is an intensive four (4) hour presentation; we will be emphasising sections marked in BOLD below. Full recordings will be provided for the lower intensity sessions (another four hours of video as detailed below) to review after the course.
POWER SYSTEM PROTECTION PRINCIPLES AND RELAYS
- Principles of protection
- Types of faults
- Types of protection systems
- Types of protective relays
- Electromechanical and static relays
- Numerical relays
FUNDAMENTALS OF SWITCHGEAR
CONFIGURATION OF NUMERICAL RELAYS
- Setting approach in conventional relays
- Configuration of relays
- Troubleshooting typical problems
SPECIFICATION OF SWITCHGEAR
CABLING COMMISSIONING AND PERIODIC TESTING
- Review of codes for testing
- Drum length checks
- Post installation checking
- Pre-commissioning and periodic tests
- Tests as tools for condition monitoring and early failure alarm
- HV tests using DC and very low frequency AC
- Partial discharge tests and mapping of results
- Dielectric dissipation factor measurements
- Micro destructive and non-destructive tests for life assessment
- Operation and maintenance of cables
SHORT CIRCUIT TESTING
CABLE FAILURE MODES AND FAULT DETECTION
- Types of failure
- Reasons for failure
- Fault location
- Electrical tests for detection of cable faults
- Safety issues in fault detection
- Analysis of failures
SWITCHGEAR DIAGNOSTICS, TESTING AND MAINTENANCE
SWITCHBOARD INSTALLATION, INSPECTION AND COMMISSIONING
INTERFACE TO CONTROL EQUIPMENT (PLCs)
|Canada Tax||16.75 CAD|
If you cannot make the Live Online Course, you can purchase a recording of the course through IDC Video: On-Demand video courses to watch online at a time that suits you.
CLICK HERE for more information.